SONA 2021: All systems go at Senate

The Senate of the Philippines is prepared for President Rodrigo Duterte’s last State of the Nation Address (SONA) on Monday, July 26.

Similar to last year’s arrangement, the Congress regular session opening will follow a hybrid setup due to the threats brought about by the pandemic and the Delta variant.

Eight senators have already confirmed their physical attendance at the Batasang Pambansa: Senate President Vicente Sotto III, Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri, Ronald Dela Rosa, Sherwin Gatchalian, Imee Marcos, Ramon Revilla Jr., Francis Tolentino, and Bong Go.

Sotto said other lawmakers will be attending virtually due to health protocol restrictions. Zubiri, however, encouraged fully vaccinated senators to personally attend sessions “to discuss issues and solutions quickly on the floor.”

“Exemptions could be to our super senior citizens in their 70s, most especially with the rise of the Delta variant cases in the Philippines. It would be understandable for them to remain online for these last few months,” Zubiri said, adding that this will be discussed in the post-SONA caucus.

Meanwhile, Go said “let the people be the judge” on the performance of the current administration amid opposition claims that Duterte had lapses in his responses to pandemic, the West Philippine Sea issue, and corruption.

“Babanggitin niya po ‘yung mga priority measures… Of course, ‘yung accomplishments ng ating Pangulo for the last five years, ‘yung mga ipinangako niya noon na naisakatuparan na po,” Go said, referring to Duterte’s speech.  – Report from Eunice Samonte/AG – jlo

 

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...