Statement of CHR Spokesperson, Atty Jacqueline Ann de Guia, on the terrorist-tagging posters in Davao

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) expresses grave concern over tagging of nine individuals as terrorist recruiters, as their names and photos were publicly published by unknown culprits in Brgy Maa, Davao City. Such irresponsible and illegal act sends a chilling effect on the exercise of freedom of expression and opinion of these progressive individuals and organisations, and threatens their personal security and safety as well.

Now that the Anti-Terror Law is in effect, the CHR reiterates its call to the government to establish protection mechanisms that support and safeguard the rights of citizens, particularly those who are facing high risk of threats, violence, and other forms of harassments, mostly individuals working for mass-oriented causes. We hope that this newly enforced policy to suppress counterinsurgency in the country would not be leveraged by any institution in justifying such indiscriminate labelling as we have previously expressed our reservations on the said law.

The Commission calls on local government authorities to immediately facilitate proper investigation of the case, to hold perpetrators accountable, and to put an end to these series of intimidation against people who have openly expressed grievance against the government. Our regional office will also conduct an independent probe.

We cannot underscore further the need to prevent any form of attacks both from state and non-state forces against those engaged in the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms. Attacks against them are direct assault to the enjoyment of human rights of every Filipino. ###

Popular

PBBM, Japan delegates reaffirm stronger business ties

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. welcomed delegates of the Economic Cooperation Committees of Japan and the Philippines for their 42nd Annual Joint...

PBBM wishes VP Sara ‘good luck’ in 2028 presidential bid —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Wednesday said that President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is wishing Vice President Sara Duterte “good luck” following her announcement of...

PBBM orders infra upgrades in Kalayaan Islands; port, airway eyed

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has ordered a review of infrastructure needs in the Kalayaan Island Group...

Deped still studying proposed trimester shift

By Brian Campued The Department of Education (DepEd) clarified that no final decision has yet been made regarding its proposal to shift to a trimestral...