Thousands flock to Davao City’s ‘Pahalipay sa Pasko’

By Lilian Mellejor/PNA

DAVAO CITY — Thousands of people from all walks of life queued up for the “Pahalipay sa Pasko”, a yearly Christmas treat of President Rodrigo Duterte and Mayor Sara Z. Duterte held at the ancestral residence of the First Family here Tuesday.

People started queuing up early morning and by past 11 a.m., the line already reached McArthur Highway some two-kilometer away from the Dutertes’ ancestral home in Barangay Bangkal.

Angel Sumagaysay of the Public Safety and Security Management Center, said the crowd was estimated at 60,000 — 20,000 more than their target well-wishers.

The crowd greeted the President and his family, as each well-wisher received assorted goods.

In the early years of Pahalipay, well-wishers would enjoy a mini-concert and parlor games, and go home with food packs and grocery items.

Risa Gelbero said she came hopeful that she would see the President and Mayor Sara.

To secure the yearly activity, the Davao City Police Office began deploying cops and traffic officers on December 24 for early crowd control.

The President spent Christmas Day with his family in Davao. On December 23, he was joined by his former top aide Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go at the House of Hope for the annual treat for cancer patients at the Southern Philippines Medical Center.

In his Christmas message aired on RTVM, Duterte wished Filipinos would spend Christmas as a time to bond with family and friends.

He said Christmas is the time to celebrate the nativity of Jesus Christ, share the blessings, and demonstrate love and gratitude for each other.

The President also wished peace for the country and called on everyone to let compassion and kindness reign as “we brace our countrymen in the spirit of shared humanity.”

“Together let us bring hope and peace in our nation this Yuletide season and we welcome the coming year with much hope and optimism,” the President said.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...