Transport chief says IATF allowed domestic air travel in areas under GCQ with approval from concerned LGUs

DOTr PR

MANILA — Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Arthur Tugade today announced that domestic commercial operations in areas covered by the general community quarantine (GCQ) are now allowed to resume.

In his radio interview earlier this morning, Secretary Tugade revealed, “Kagabi ho, ‘yung IATF, ‘yung ating Chief Implementer na si Secretary Galvez, ay nag-isyu na ho ng kasulatan at kautusan na kung saan, ang sinasabi po niya na allowed na ‘yung domestic commercial aviation between GCQ to GCQ,”

He, however, said that a condition must be met—the provincial and/or local government units must categorically support the resumption of domestic commercial operations.

“Kailangan lang dito, aprubado ng local government,” he emphasized

For his part, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) Director General Capt.. Jim G. Sydiongco said that airlines may verify and confirm with concerned airport authorities if airports are allowed to resume operations.

“We advise airlines and air operators to communicate with the airport authorities having jurisdiction over the airport concerned to ensure proper coordination with the intended destination,” Capt. Sydiongco said.

It may be recalled that President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the lowering of the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) enforced over Metro Manila and other major parts of the country into a general community quarantine (GCQ) starting June 1.

Aside from Metro Manila, other areas now under GCQ are Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Pangasinan, Albay, and Davao City.

The rest of the country, meanwhile, will be placed under a modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) – the lowest form of community quarantine enforced by the government.

Regular commercial air travel had been previously suspended in areas covered by the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) and the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...