Trillanes arrest sought for leaving PH pending court approval

By Benjamin Pulta/PNA

MANILA — Government lawyers asked the Davao City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 54 trying Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV on four counts of libel to order the lawmaker’s arrest and cancellation of his bail for jumping the gun on the court’s permission on his travel abroad last month.

In a motion dated Jan. 10, Davao City Assistant City Prosecutor Joseph B. Mamburan cited the motion of the lawyers of former Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte which claimed that Trillanes left the country on Dec. 11, 2018, a day after posting bail before the Pasay court and before the Davao court could actually rule to allow him to travel.

Trillanes flew out of Philippine jurisdiction without waiting for prior leave or permission from the Davao court, the prosecution’s motion argued.

“Having departed for abroad without (waiting for) court permission, accused is guilty of flight. He has stepped out of Philippine jurisdiction, hence beyond its reach,” Duterte’s counsel, lawyer Rainier L. Madrid said.

The former Davao vice mayor’s camp added that the Trillanes’ departure for abroad without seeking this court’s prior permission is a serious and material breach of his bail and temporary liberty, noting that Trillanes himself “repudiated his own bail”.

“Bail does not grant absolute freedom and liberty. It merely suspends the efficacy of the arrest warrant. It does not relieve the accused from his duties to this court, let alone, give him absolute and complete freedom. Restriction on his right to travel abroad is implied. It is a necessary consequence and impact of his bail,” Madrid added.

The Davao City RTC earlier turned down prosecutors’ request for the issuance of a hold departure order (HDO) against Senator Antonio Trillanes which he said is not a flight risk.

Judge Melinda Alconcel-Dayanghirang also noted that Trillanes’ travels were allowed by Senate President Vicente Sotto III.

“While it is true that the accused has already left the country on December 11, 2018 and thus beyond the reach of this Court, however, the said travel is supported by Travel Order 2018-SR-090 (PS-OIRP) dated October 8, 2018 issued by Senate President Vicente Sotto III. The accused’s succeeding travel on January 27 to February 10, 2019 is likewise with authority of the Senate President,” the magistrate said.

The court explained that from its viewpoint, the trips or speaking engagements abroad “cannot be equated to flight or the voluntary withdrawal by the accused in order to avoid continuance of the criminal proceedings”. 

Popular

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...

PBBM assures bigger funding for socio-civic projects, sustained rice aid for Filipinos

By Brian Campued “Kapag sinabi nating bawat bayan; bawat pamilya, walang maiiwan.” As part of the administration’s commitment to bringing government services and assistance directly to...

ADB commits addt’l funding to support PH gov’t efforts amid Mideast conflict

By Brian Campued The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has committed $1.75 billion in additional financing to support the Philippine government’s efforts in managing fiscal pressures...