Trillanes files drug smuggling raps vs. Paolo Duterte, others

DRUG SMUGGLING CASE. Former senator Antonio Trillanes IV files drug smuggling charges against Davao City 1st District Rep. Paolo “Pulong” Duterte, former Bureau of Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon, and lawyer Manases “Mans” Carpio over the alleged P6.4 billion shabu shipment seized in Valenzuela City in 2017, at the Department of Justice in Manila on Wednesday (July 31, 2024). In a statement, Duterte welcomed the charges filed against him by Trillanes, saying that he and his fellow respondents will address the accusations through proper legal channels. (Photos courtesy of Yancy Lim/PNA and Cong. Duterte/FB)

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

Former senator Antonio Trillanes IV on Wednesday filed drug smuggling charges before the Department of Justice (DOJ) against Davao City 1st District Rep. Paolo Duterte, former Customs chief Nicanor Faeldon, lawyer Manases Carpio, and other individuals over the P6.4-billion shabu shipment seized in Valenzuela City in 2017.

In a 47-page complaint, Trillanes cited the legislative inquiry held in 2017 at the Senate which led to the filing of criminal charges against Chen Ju Long, aka Richard Tan, and Mark Taguba in connection with the shipment of shabu inside the vessel Guang Ping (Voyage No. 1719S) which arrived at the Manila International Container Port (MICP) of the Bureau of Customs in Tondo on May 2017.

The shipment went through the Bureau of Customs express lane and the shabu shipment left the MICP International Container Terminal Services Inc. in a vehicle registered under Golden Strike Logistics Inc. owned by Taguba.

Tan, during the Senate proceedings, claimed to be an informant of the Chinese government who tipped Philippine customs officials of the drug importation.

However, Tan was identified by Taguba as the one who engaged his services, adding that he dealt with Tan through a middleman, Kenneth Dong.

Citing Taguba’s testimony, the complaint alleged that the broker apparently engaged the services of the so-called Davao Group.

“Clearly, the Davao Group’s influence and authority within the BOC are conclusive and irrefutable. After dealing with the Davao group, Taguba’s previously problematic and often delayed if not ‘alerted’ transactions with the BOC have been characterized as ‘smooth-sailing,’ bypassing the institutional screening mechanisms set by the Bureau,” Trillanes’ complaint said.

Also named in the complaint are former Presidential Adviser on Indigenous Peoples’ Concerns Allen Capuyan, Davao City Councilor Small Abellera, Charlie Tan, and four others.

Duterte welcomes charges

Meanwhile, Duterte welcomed the charges filed against him by Trillanes.

“This is a welcome development, mas maganda ito dahil sa korte ng Pilipinas ang pagdinig at hindi sa korte ng Facebook at utak ng isang trililing na sundalong kanin. This move will allow us to address these accusations through the proper legal channels, ensuring that the truth will prevail,” he said in a press statement.

“I have always maintained my innocence, and I am confident that the judicial process will clear my name. It is important to rely on our legal institutions rather than resorting to trial by publicity or baseless allegations.”

Duterte said the accusations are similar to the ones made by Trillanes in 2018, in which the latter was sued for libel.

‘I also look forward to the resolution of the libel cases I filed against him,” he said.

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...