U.S. San Francisco cancels New Year’s Eve fireworks show due to Omicron surge

Xinhua News Agency

SAN FRANCISCO – The U.S. city of San Francisco announced the cancellation of the city’s annual New Year’s Eve fireworks show as holiday gatherings and travel have expedited the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant.

The event could draw tens of thousands to the waterfront, creating a hotbed for viral infections, public health officials said on Tuesday (Dec. 29), adding that another big worry is a shortage of staff to handle large events.

New Year’s Eve already presents challenges for San Francisco’s police and fire departments, given the number of parties and revelers, according to a report by San Francisco Chronicle.

As of Tuesday, 84% of eligible San Francisco residents are vaccinated and 55% have received a booster shot, officials said in a news release. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...