
LAS VEGAS — Police in Las Vegas, Nevada say a man attacked a country music concert late Sunday, killing at least 50 people and wounding more than 200 others.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters the attacker was on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay casino, located across the street from the outdoor venue where videos showed concertgoers ducking for cover, screaming and running as the repeated shots rang out.
Lombardo said SWAT officers “engaged” the shooter, that he was dead, and that authorities found “numerous firearms” in the hotel room. He identified the shooter as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, and said that an investigation into Paddock’s background was not finished, but that police believe he was the sole attacker and they would be searching his home.
“We don’t know what his belief system was at this time,” the sheriff said.

Authorities had also searched for a woman described as Paddock’s roommate in order to get more information, and Lombardo said he believed she had been located.
Several off-duty police officers who were at the concert were among those killed.
As the situation unfolded, people sought safety in the many hotels that line the popular tourist district. The Las Vegas international airport is also in the area, and flights there were temporarily halted because of the shooting.
Country star Jason Aldean was on stage playing at the time of the shooting. Hours later he described it as “horrific.”
“I still don’t know what to say but wanted to let everyone know that me and my crew are safe. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night,” he said on Instagram.

Other artists who were part of Sunday’s main stage lineup at the Route 91 Harvest festival reacted on Twitter.
This world is sick 😔
— Kane Brown (@kanebrown) October 2, 2017
Praying for everyone here in Vegas. I witnessed the most unimaginable event tonight. We are okay. Others arent. Please pray.
— Jake Owen (@jakeowen) October 2, 2017
Gun shots were ringing off of the stage rigging and road cases. No one knew where to go..thank you LVPD and responders for keeping us safe
— Jake Owen (@jakeowen) October 2, 2017
Everyone in the B&R camp is ok thoughts and prayers to everyone in vegas at #Route91
— Big & Rich (@bigandrich) October 2, 2017
Everyone in JAB is accounted for. They evacuated us from Mandalay. My fiancée is still in room. They won’t let me in but she’s safe
— Josh Abbott (@joshabbottband) October 2, 2017
Our thoughts & prayers are with the victims of last night’s tragic events. We’re grateful for the immediate actions of our first responders. pic.twitter.com/Arf8edj1iZ
— Mandalay Bay Resort (@MandalayBay) October 2, 2017
U.S. President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter Monday morning: “My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!”
My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2017
U.S. Senator Dean Heller, who represents Nevada, called the shooting a “senseless, horrifying act of violence,” while Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval described it as “tragic and heinous.”
British Prime Minister Theresa May also expressed support, saying Britain’s thoughts were with the victims and emergency personnel. | via Voice of America