US Measles Cases Pass 1,000 Mark for 2019

VOA News

The number of measles cases confirmed in the United States in 2019 has reached 1,001, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report said this week.

As of last week, the total for 2019 had already reached the highest point in any year since 1992, when there were 2,237 cases of the infectious disease reported.

“The Department of Health and Human Services has been deeply engaged in promoting the safety and effectiveness of vaccines, amid concerning signs that there are pockets of undervaccination around the country,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement Thursday.
.
Azar reinforced the importance of vaccines in combating the outbreak.

“We cannot say this enough: Vaccines are a safe and highly effective public health tool that can prevent this disease and end the current outbreak. I encourage all Americans to talk to your doctor about what vaccines are recommended to protect you, your family, and your community from measles and other vaccine-preventable diseases,” he said.

Measles is highly contagious. The disease is usually spread through sneezing and coughing. It can linger in the air for up to two hours.

Cases have been reported in more than half of U.S. states. New York has had the highest total, with nearly 700 cases reported this year.

Most of those cases have been in Orthodox Jewish communities in Brooklyn and Queens, where there are low vaccination rates. The New York City Department of Health said that as of Monday, 566 cases had been confirmed in those areas since September.

Clark County in Washington state had the second-largest outbreak in the U.S. this year with more than 70 cases reported.

According to the CDC, the outbreaks in New York City and Rockland County, N.Y., threaten to nullify the nation’s status of having officially eliminated measles.

“That loss would be a huge blow for the nation and erase the hard work done by all levels of public health. The measles elimination goal, first announced in 1966 and accomplished in 2000, was a monumental task,” the CDC said in a May press release.

“Before widespread use of the measles vaccine, an estimated 3 [million] to 4 million people got measles each year in the United States, along with an estimated 400 to 500 deaths and 48,000 hospitalizations,” the release said.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...