US reiterates ‘deep’ commitment, interest in SEA region

MANILA — With its continued counterterrorism partnership and military aid to Southeast Asian nations, the United States government reiterates its deep interest and commitment to the region, a senior State Department official said Monday.

In a teleconference with reporters (9:30 a.m. Philippine time), Ambassador Tina Kaidanow, principal deputy assistant secretary of State for the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs, said they are in fact pushing forward for more engagements with the states.

The envoy was initially asked what strategic policy Washington has in mind for the Southeast Asian region.

In the strategic waterway, America had been consistent in upholding its right to conduct freedom of navigation and overflight.

But in terms of bilateral cooperation with states, it is engaged in training local soldiers and providing military donations to help the area inch closer on the eradication of global terror networks.

In the Philippines alone, the US recently delivered ammunitions and weapons to enhance the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ counterterrorism capabilities.

Since the Marawi conflict broke out up to its recovery stage at present, Washington has also provided military and humanitarian assistance to the government.

Kaidanow said there is “a deep, deep, deep commitment on the part of the US government. We are working (on) it all the time.”

Kaidanow held the briefing to discuss US participation in the 2018 Singapore International Airshow, which will run from February 6 to 11.

The airshow is a biennial event and is the largest defense exhibition and biennial international tradeshow in the Asia-Pacific region. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...