Vaccines work: DOH condemns sources of false vax info

The Department of Health (DOH) stressed COVID-19 vaccination’s importance, citing “growing number of real-world evidence globally” on their ability to reduce hospitalization and death.

In a statement, the DOH condemned medical professionals for spreading wrong information on COVID-19 vaccines, an act the agency described as “irresponsible” amid the threat posed by the highly transmissible Delta variant.

This was after a health practitioner claimed in a radio interview this week that the vaccines are more dangerous than the actual virus.

“It is likewise irresponsible for media outlets to allow such professionals to use their platforms to spread baseless information that stands to harm Filipinos, especially those who are in the process of deciding to get vaccinated,” the DOH said.

Malacaῆang also denounced the claim, saying that vaccines approved by the Philippine Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and World Health Organization (WHO) are safe and effective. 

“Huwag po kayong makinig sa mga nagsasabing hindi epektibo at hindi ligtas ang mga bakuna, iyan po ay mga pekeng eksperto,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in his Thursday briefing.

The University of the Philippines (UP) College of Medicine Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, where the health practitioner works, said they support the evidence-based approach of using vaccines in the pandemic response.

The WHO also advised the public to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

“Approved COVID-19 vaccines provide a high degree of protection against getting seriously ill and dying from the disease, although no vaccine is 100% protective,” the WHO said.

Among the vaccines with emergency use listing (EUL) from the WHO are Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinopharm, and Sinovac.

“Even after you’re vaccinated, keep taking precautions. While a COVID-19 vaccine will prevent serious illness and death, we still don’t know the extent to which it keeps you from being infected and passing the virus on to others,” the WHO said. – Report from Mark Fetalco/AG-rir

Watch full report here:

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...