Vergeire ‘ready’ to sit as DOH chief

Department of Health Officer-in-Charge Maria Rosario Vergeire said Tuesday that she is “ready” should President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. offer her the position.
(Photo courtesy of the Department of Health)

Department of Health (DOH) Officer-in-Charge Maria Rosario Vergeire said Tuesday, Jan. 31, that she is “ready” should President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. offer her the position.

Vergeire previously expressed reservations about leading the Department, but stressed that now “is the appropriate time” for her to “help the country.”]

“As you all know, I have a lot of hesitancies because of my career executive position, the tenure of this position,” Vergeire said in a briefing.

“Pero sa tingin ko ngayon, with all of these things happening at sa lahat-lahat ng trabahong kailangang gawin for us to really improve on our healthcare system, sa tingin ko, this is the appropriate time for me to help the country,” she added. 

Marcos has yet to appoint a Health secretary. -Katrina Gracia Consebido/ gb 

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...