VP Sara favors cellphone ban for learners, ‘with exceptions’

INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION IN DAVAO. Vice President Sara Z. Duterte arrives at Rizal Park in Davao City to lead the wreath-laying ceremony for the celebration of the country’s 126th Independence Day on Wednesday (June 12, 2024). Duterte called on Filipinos to reflect on the courage and patriotism of their ancestors, who fought for the country’s freedom from foreign oppression. (PNA photo by Robinson Niñal Jr.)

By Che Palicte | Philippine News Agency

Vice President and concurrent Education Secretary Sara Duterte said she agrees with a Senate bill seeking to prohibit the use of mobile devices and electronic gadgets in schools during class hours.

VP Duterte, however, said regulations should allow for exceptions, such as when gadget use becomes necessary, such as for learning, teaching, or emergency reasons.

“We’re okay with the banning of gadgets for personal use, (but) subject to exceptions. I understand and have read the draft that there are exceptions, particularly if the gadget is used for learning and teaching,” she said on the sidelines of the celebration of the 126th Independence Day here on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian filed a bill seeking to prohibit the use of mobile devices and electronic gadgets in schools during class hours.

Duterte said guidelines can be established in such a way that the ban does not hinder a learner’s access to school lessons or during emergency cases.

Senate Bill No. 2706, or the Electronic Gadget-Free Schools Act, mandates the Department of Education to establish guidelines for the prohibition, which covers learners from kindergarten to senior high school in both public and private institutions, including teachers.

While acknowledging the potential of the devices for learning and teaching, Gatchalian emphasized its negative impact on academic performance, especially among basic education learners, and the prevalence of cyberbullying.

He cited an analysis from the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2022, which indicates that eight in 10 learners aged 15 reported being distracted by smartphone use during class.

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...