West Visayas cops told to avoid firing guns this New Year

By Cindy Ferrer/PNA

ILOILO CITY — Policemen in Western Visayas have been warned against firing their guns, especially in welcoming the New Year.

“We all know that we will not be doing the usual taping of muzzle of the guns but I trust that you are professional policemen and responsible people and you will not use your firearms to cause indiscriminate firing that will endanger the lives of our community, of our people,” Police Regional Office 6 (Western Visayas) Director, Chief Supt. John Bulalacao, told the region’s policemen on Saturday.

Bulalacao urged the police force to remain “active” and continue with law enforcement efforts to maintain peace and order in all parts of the region.

He said that as far as he could recall, there has been no case of indiscriminate firing recorded in the region last year.

“We are hoping to maintain this, that is why I am also hoping the policemen here in Western Visayas will remain disciplined,” he said in an interview.

Policemen are on full alert and not allowed to go on leave or be absent, especially when the communist movement celebrates its 50th anniversary on December 26.

Only personnel of PRO-6 performing administrative functions will be allowed to go on leave, Bulalacao said.

“We are really on alert and ready to face them (communist rebels) in case they initiate offensive activities on police and military operations,” he said.

Bulalacao said they have already activated “Oplan Ligtas Paskuhan” last December 16 to ensure that law and order is maintained throughout the region during the Yuletide season.

Despite the holiday season, he said they are continuing their regular enforcement operations by increasing police presence through the setting up of police assistance desks in areas where people converge, for instance malls and churches. “We have also deployed road safety marshals, like mobile patrols,” he added.

Bulalacao further said that they have intensified their campaign against loose firearms, noting that the search for unlicensed firearms is ongoing in the entire region.

“We launched this in line with our aim to ensure that there will be no indiscriminate firing on Christmas and New Year,” he said.

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...