WHO cautions against concurrent outbreaks of COVID-19, other diseases

Xinhua News Agency

GENEVA – The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday (Jan. 12) cautioned and urged for preparedness against concurrent outbreaks of COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases during the coming spring.

Dr. Maria van Kerkhove from the WHO’s Health Emergencies Program, said at a press briefing that this could happen as population mixing increases, and as other respiratory pathogens such as influenza circulate in spring.

More than 15 million new COVID-19 cases were reported to WHO from around the world last week, by far the most cases reported in a single week. This has been driven by “the Omicron variant rapidly replacing Delta in almost all countries,” according to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

Meanwhile, the number of weekly reported deaths has remained stable since October last year, at an average of 48,000.

While the number of patients being hospitalized is increasing in most countries, it is not at the level seen in previous waves. That is possibly due to the reduced severity of Omicron and widespread immunity from vaccination or previous infection, he said.

“Let’s be clear: while Omicron causes less severe disease than Delta, it remains a dangerous virus, particularly for those who are unvaccinated,” the WHO chief said.

The organization has constantly warned that the sheer volume of cases is putting a heavy burden on healthcare systems.

“We will have to see what happens as this virus evolves,” Van Kerkhove, warning of future outbreaks among those who are unvaccinated and not well protected, said.

Severe disease and death can be reduced by vaccination, as well as by improving clinical care, she said. However, this does depend on the nature of the interventions. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...