Zamboanga cops recapture 15 jail escapees

Coastguard personnel inspect all vehicles entering the port of Zamboanga as manhunt operations continue to recapture all of the 16 escapees, who bolted from jail on Tuesday. So far, 15 have been recaptured or has surrendered separately. (Photo courtesy: Remus L. Ong)

ZAMBOANGA CITY — Police authorities and other law enforcement agencies have recaptured 15 jail escapees as they continue manhunt operations to recapture one detainee who remains at large, official said Wednesday.

Still at large is Sulayman Sali, one of the 16 detainees who bolted early Tuesday from detention cell of the Police Station 6, this city.

The 15 detainees, who were accounted for, have either surrendered and captured separately by pursuing policemen in a manhunt operation launched by the local police in coordination with the other law enforcement agencies.

“Continuous manhunt operation is still being conducted by joint elements of Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO) for possible recapture of the remaining escapee,” Chief Insp. Helen Galvez, Police Regional Office (PRO 9) information officer, said.

The detainees escaped at around 2:50 a.m. Tuesday after one of them, William Parajado, cut the detention cell’s padlock with a hacksaw.

The two station guards on duty tried but failed to stop as 16 of the 58 detainees ran fast them and fled to different directions.

Coordination was made with all law enforcement units and agencies in the nearby areas to help recapture Sali.

Meanwhile, Senior Supt. Neri Vincent Ignacio, ZCPO director, relieved Supt. Hadjiri Langgal as chief of the Police Station 6.

Also ordered relieved were the duty policemen when the detainees escaped.

She said they were placed under the ZCPO Holding Unit pending the result of the investigation. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...