
By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency
A total of 11 party-lists and 10 senatorial aspirants formally filed their candidacy papers before the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Wednesday.
In a press conference, Comelec Chairperson George Garcia said the second day of the eight-day certificate of candidacy (COC) filing went by without a hitch or report of any untoward incident.
“Sa pangalawang araw, wala tayong natanggap na kahit anong untoward incident or kahit na anong report na nagkaroon ng problema sa kahit na anong filing venues or sites ng Comelec,” he said.
“Naging napakatahimik ng filing of COC sa buong Pilipinas,” he added.
Garcia also reported that the first aspirants in Batanes—one for vice governor and one as member of Sangguniang Panlalawigan (provincial board)—finally filed their candidacy papers on Oct. 2.
The Comelec, he added, has also received the first candidacy papers in Sarangani on the second day.
“Again, napakaganda ng filing ng ating candidacy sapagkat nagiging maayos ang lahat, hindi lang dito sa tent ng Manila Hotel kundi sa buong bansa,” he said.
“Kahit ’yong mga supporters ng sumasama sa kanila ay pinapakinggan ’yong pakiusap sa kanila na kung puwede ay peacefully and orderly ’yong pagsama nila sa kandidato,” Garcia added.
He also cited a Philippine National Police report that the first day of COC filing concluded with zero crime incidence.
Senators Imee Marcos and Lito Lapid as well as former senators Panfilo Lacson and Vicente Sotto III filed their COCs.
The other senatorial aspirants are Victoriano Inte, Eric Negapatan, Magno Manalo, Bethsaida Lopez, Manuel Andrada, and Jonry Gargarita.
Party-lists who filed their Certificate of Nomination and Certificate of Acceptance of Nomination (CON-CAN) on Day 2 included LPGMA, ANG KOMADRONA, UNITED SENIOR CITIZENS, PPP, PAMANA, BARKADAHAN, MAGDALO, VENDORS, A TEACHER, APAT DAPAT, and ABONO.
10 EMBO allowed to vote
Meanwhile, Garcia said the Comelec en banc allowed the 10 Enlisted Men’s Barrios (Embo) barangays to vote for representatives of the two legislative districts in the City of Taguig.
He said three barangays would be allowed to vote in District 1 and seven in District 2 in the 2025 elections, based on the concurrent resolution of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
“’Yong concurrent resolution nila, confirmed na namin na makakaboto na sila and they will not be disenfranchised. ’Yon ang pangunahing rason ng En Banc bakit natin pinayagan makaboto sila sa dalawang distrito,” Garcia said.
The first district will be composed of Barangays Comembo, Pembo, and Rizal; and the second district will have Cembo, South Cembo, East Rembo, West Rembo, Pitogo, Post Proper Northside; and Post Proper Southside.
Last month, the seven-member panel ordered the inclusion of the 10 Embo barangays in the two districts pursuant to Ordinance No. 144 of the Taguig city government. (With a report from Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)