36 poll protest cases filed so far: Comelec

By Ferdinand Patinio | Philippine News Agency

MANILA — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Tuesday reported that it has received over 30 electoral protest cases, more than two weeks after the holding of the May 13 midterm polls.

“As per ECAD (Electoral Contests Adjudication Department), 36 cases as of 3 p.m. today, May 28,” said the poll body in a statement.

Earlier, Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said that the cases involving local positions were submitted before the poll body’s main office in Intramuros, Manila.

Among the cases are from the cities of Taguig and San Juan; and provinces of Leyte, Kalinga and Negros.

However, the poll body official did not reveal those involved in the protest cases.

Jimenez explained that protest cases involving city and provincial elective positions are under the jurisdiction of Comelec head office.

As for poll protests of municipal elective positions, he said these should be filed before the Regional Trial Courts (RTCs).

On the other hand, the Comelec official added that protest cases involving senators are presented before the Senate Electoral Tribunal (SET) while the House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal (HRET) handles cases involving congressmen.

“We invite anyone with complaints to approach us in official channels so we could act on your complaints at soonest,” Jimenez said.

Under existing rules, Comelec, through one of its two Divisions, shall handle all election protests involving regional, provincial, and city officials

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...