PRRD ‘coup’ remark just random one: AFP spox

Priam Nepomuceno/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Wednesday described President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s calls for the military and the police not to stage a coup during his term as just a random remark.

“That was a random remark on the part of the President and Commander-in-Chief, in so far as the AFP is concerned,” AFP spokesperson, Marine Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo, said in a message to the Philippine News Agency.

Duterte made the comment in his speech at the 72nd founding anniversary of the Philippine Air Force held at Villamor Air Base, Pasay City on Tuesday, saying staging a coup is not necessary as he is willing to step down if asked to.

Duterte added that soldiers and policemen who no longer find him deserving to lead the country could simply talk to him over a cup of coffee.

Arevalo said there is nothing new with the President’s coup comment as Duterte mentioned it during the first Joint-AFP-Philippine National Police (PNP) Command Conference he presided upon assumption of office.

“As early as the first Joint AFP-PNP Command Conference that he presided upon his assumption of office and in several other instances after that, he has conveyed that same message to the security forces,” he said.

And in essence, he added, Duterte’s message is to forget about mounting a military take-over that would lead to violence, death, and destruction and if anyone among the military or police thinks that they can better run the country, they can freely tell him and he will step down.

Arevalo said the AFP, which is led by Chief-of-Staff, Gen. Benjamin Madrigal, Jr., is a professional institution and composed of matured servicemen and women who are patriots and loyal to the constitution and the duly constituted authorities.

“We have learned our lessons from the past and we shall live by it,” he said, adding that having a Commander-in-Chief who has shown genuine care and concern for all military personnel is more than enough aside from reforms that made the AFP more capable of conducting its mandate.

“The reforms implemented in the AFP to include its modernization; the increase in pay, allowances, and benefits like housing so we can best perform our mandate abound. We were given more than what we can ask for from a President and Commander-in-Chief who has shown genuine care and concern to his soldiers, airmen, sailors, and marines,” he said.

Arevalo said the AFP assures the President that the military will always remain loyal to the Flag, the Constitution, and the Filipino people.

“We have, time and again assured him, as we reassure him today, that we in the AFP shall constantly and will remain loyal to the flag, to the constitution, and to the Filipino people whom we swore to protect with our lives,” he added.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...