‘Distracted walking’ law now in effect in Baguio

By Liza Agoot/Philippine News Agency

DISTRACTED WALKING. The city government has approved an ordinance prohibiting the use of mobile devices and other gadgets as well as reading from anything that has a text while crossing the street or walking on sidewalk anywhere in Baguio. The ordinance was originally proposed by Scout Official for a Day (SOFAD) councilor Eriko Coscoluela on October 8, 2018. (Screenshot photo courtesy of PIA-CAR)

BAGUIO CITY — The use of mobile devices such as cellphones, tablets, and other similar items while walking is now prohibited in the city.

This, after Ordinance 49-2019 “prohibiting and regulating the use of mobile devices and other distractive devices and items while walking and crossing the streets and sidewalks in the city of Baguio” takes effect following its publication.

The prohibition includes reading any material while walking.

The ordinance states that distracted walking is a major pedestrian safety concern, citing pedestrian fatalities getting worse each year.

Persons violating the ordinance face a maximum penalty of PHP2,500 fine and community service or 11 to 30 days imprisonment on the fourth and succeeding offenses.

Originally authored by Scout Official for a Day (SOFAD) Councilor Eriko Coscoluela, he wrote: “Distracted driving is a deep-rooted problem that many cities and provinces in the country have prohibited the use of technology, especially cellphone while driving. However, the problem of distracted walking is a relatively new one but an emerging cause of numerous road accidents.”

Each year, more people get injured because of texting, talking or listening to music while on their cellphones, unmindful of their surroundings.

“The problem of distracted walking is a very real and serious one,” Coscoluela wrote in the proposal he submitted last year.

Based on the certification provided by lawyer Brenner Bengwayan, City Council Secretary, the text of the ordinance was posted on bulletin boards for three weeks starting July 5 and was also published in a local newspaper.

“Jona”, a government employee, said she agrees with the need to implement the ordinance.

“Minsan nababangga ka nila kasi ‘di nila tinitingnan dinadaanan nila dahil sa kaka-cellphone (sometimes they bump into you because they do not pay attention while walking because of the use of cellphones),” Jona said.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...