BJMP fortifies defense on COVID-19 with a new facility

The Bureau of Jail Management and Penology has completed its COVID 19 Isolation Center in Quezon City with support from the International Committee of the Red Cross and the Philippine Red Cross.

As a background, the BJMP learned information last Friday about a former PDL who died of Acute Myocardial Infarction, a kind of heart ailment, and hypertension. In his death certificate, it was indicated under other conditions contributing to his death is possible COVID 19 infection.

“Taking the attending physician’s point of view, citing possible COVID 19 as contributing condition is a piece of information that we cannot take lightly,” said BJMP Spokesperson Jail Chief Inspector Xavier Solda.

“Our position is always at the side of caution; that is why we triple our efforts in establishing an isolation center outside the jail facility, “he added.

BJMP NCR Regional Director Jail Chief Superintendent Ignacio Panti immediately convened the Regional Task Force COVID 19 of the National Capital Region and directed the immediate conduct of contact tracing among PDL who came in contact with the subject PDL.

Solda said that there were 17 PDL who needs to be isolated after the contact tracing for a more focused medical care.

Meanwhile, BJMP Chief Jail Director Allan Iral directed the continuous strict implementation of precautionary measures in jails such as physical distancing, wearing of face mask among personnel and PDL, use of foot bath, thermal scanning, and disinfection of facilities particularly the isolation areas.

He also ordered the continuous monitoring of the mental health status of both PDL and personnel for appropriate intervention in relation to the recent pronouncement from the national government on extended lockdown and to maximize the use of electronic dalaw or e-Dalaw for PDL and the conduct of daily dialogue with PDL.

He also thanked the ICRC and PRC for the immediate assistance they extended to the BJMP National Capital Region.

“We would like to thank the International Committee of the Red Cross and the Philippine Red Cross for the support they extended to establish the isolation center,” said Iral

“I learned that this is, in fact, the first global project of its kind by the ICRC, in response to prison and detention needs to fight COVID 19; that is why we are thankful for the support,” he added.

The isolation center will only cater to PDL with mild to moderate symptoms of COVID 19 for symptomatic management and monitoring and not for severe cases.

All medical personnel who will be operating the said facility have completed the ICRC Training on Handling Infectious Diseases.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...