No Filipino casualty in NY truck attack: DFA

MANILA — The Department of Foriegn Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday said no Filipino has been reported as among the casualties when a suspect using a rented truck ran over pedestrians in downtown Manhattan.

The attack, which left at least eight people dead and 11 others injured in New York on Tuesday was described as an “act of terror” prompting the international community to denounce the dastardly deed.

“The Philippines extends its deepest sympathies and is one with the United States Government and the American people in condemning this unspeakable act of terror,” Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said in a statement.

“Our hearts reach out to the families of those who lost their lives in this tragic incident in Manhattan,” he said. “We also pray for the swift recovery of those who were injured.”

The Philippine Consulate General in New York immediately issued an advisory for members of the Filipino Community to stay away from the scene of the incident at Chamber and West Streets in lower Manhattan.

Consul General Maria Theresa Dizon-De Vega reported that police have already taken into custody the driver of the vehicle after shooting and wounding him following the incident that took place near the World Trade Center.

“We are in touch with the New York Police Department and so far, we have not received reports of any Filipino among the dead or injured,” De Vega said.

Meanwhile, she again reminded Filipinos in the area to exercise caution if they would still want to participate in the annual Halloween Parade that would be held on Tuesday evening near the scene of the incident. (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...