PH extends travel ban to India, 6 others over Delta variant

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos

The Philippines has extended the travel ban for travelers from India and six other countries until July 15 to prevent the possible entry of the Delta COVID-19 variant, Malacañang announced on Tuesday.

The extended travel ban covers India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Oman, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a virtual presser.

Isa itong proactive measure sa patuloy na pagpapatupad ng international border control dahil sa COVID-19 Delta variant,” Roque said.

The announcement came a day before the travel restrictions are set to lapse.

Roque clarified that outbound passengers, including overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), are still allowed to go to India and six other countries where the travel ban was extended.

“Merong din pong mga OFWs na papunta siguro sa ilang lugar diyan. Hindi naman po sila pinagbabawalan pero pinag-iingat lang po,” he said.

On June 20, Malacañang said Filipinos in countries covered by temporary travel ban will still be allowed to return home, so long as they are covered by the government’s repatriation efforts.

This is the fourth time the country has extended travel restrictions on India and the six other countries.

The travel ban on India was first imposed from April 29 to May 15.

The Philippine government later decided to expand the travel restrictions by including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Oman, and UAE.

The Philippines has so far reported a total of 17 Delta cases which originated in India.

The country initially detected 13 cases of Delta COVID-19 variant, all involving returning Filipino travelers. The four new cases are also returning Filipinos.

The Delta coronavirus variant is found to be 60 percent more infectious than the Alpha variant and is apparently behind the surge in cases in other countries, according to reports.

Dr. Alethea de Guzman, officer-in-charge director of the Department of Health’s epidemiology bureau, noted that a person who contracts the Delta variant can infect five to eight people. (PNA) -rir

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...