AFP: Some Chinese vessels have left Ayungin Shoal

Several Chinese vessels have left Ayungin Shoal, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Western Command said on Sunday (Nov. 21).

According to Vice Adm. Roberto Enriquez, only two Chinese coast guard vessels remain in the Ayungin Shoal as of 12:00 a.m. Sunday.

Last week, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) condemned the blocking and bombing by the Chinese vessels on two supply boats in the Philippines that were set to bring food to Filipino soldiers in the Ayungin Shoal.

No one was injured but the mission to deliver food was aborted.

“The acts of the Chinese Coast Guard vessels are illegal. China has no law enforcement rights in and around these areas. They must take heed and back off,” DFA Sec. Teodoro Locsin said last Nov. 18 (Thursday).

“This failure to exercise self-restraint threatens the special relationship between the Philippines and China that President Rodrigo R. Duterte and President Xi Jin Ping have worked hard to nurture. The Philippines will continue to provide supplies to our troops in Ayungin Shoal. We do not ask permission to do what we need to do in our territory,” Locsin said. – Report from Naomi Tiburcio/PG – bny

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...