Southern Leyte welcomes Sara, grateful for help after ‘Odette’

SOGOD, Southern Leyte – Residents here on Thursday (Feb. 3) welcomed vice presidential aspirant Sara Duterte not only to show their support to her candidacy but to thank her for the relief aid they received after their town was hit by Typhoon Odette in December.

Gigi Parado and her fellow residents held handmade placards written with “Daghang Salamat Inday Sara sa ayuda sama sa mga pagkaon, tubig, ug mga sinena (Thank you Inday Sara for the relief assistance like food, water and clothes),” as they patiently waited for the Davao City mayor’s arrival here on Thursday morning.

Southern Leyte was among the heavily affected provinces by Typhoon Odette.

“Karon, naghinay-hinay nami og bangon (We are now slowly recovering),” Parado said.

Residents here were among those who received the relief goods sent by the city government of Davao City to survivors of Typhoon Odette.

In December, Duterte and her presidential running mate Bongbong Marcos visited several typhoon-affected provinces in the Visayas and Mindanao. They brought with them relief goods for the survivors.

Davao City has also distributed food packs given by Dabawenyos who opted to have their “Pahalipay sa Pasko,” a small gift from the city government, donated to the typhoon victims in the Visayas and Mindanao.

Last month, Duterte returned to Siargao and Dinagat Islands to bring more relief and housing materials for families who were left homeless. The initiative was in partnership with the AGIMAT Partylist.

The Day 3 of Duterte’s Mahalin Natin ang Pilipinas Ride started in Liloan, Southern Leyte, Thursday morning, officially starting the Visayas leg of the 28-day caravan that will end in Cotabato City before returning to Davao City at the end of February.

Upon her arrival in Liloan town, she met with Vice Governor Christopherson Yap along with 18 Southern Leyte town mayors.

Along the road, Sara made several stopovers to briefly greet her supporters.

The third day of the ride will end in Tacloban City. (HNP Media)

-ag

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...