OCTA: PH still ‘very low risk’ for COVID-19

The Philippines remains at very low risk for COVID-19 with a lower daily average cases of 527 compared with last week’s figures, according to OCTA Research Group.

The country also has a 0.47 average daily attack rate or incidence of positive cases per hundred thousand population.

Asian countries such as East Timor, Taiwan, Cambodia, and China are also under the very low risk COVID-19 classification. However, China is also experiencing a resurgence of cases, together with South Korea, Vietnam, Laos with positive one-week growth rates.

According to infectious disease expert Dr. Edsel Salvaña, the further easing of restrictions must not be rushed, as the COVID-19 surge being experienced in Asian countries might also happen in the Philippines.

“Sa ngayon I think kabado rin lahat kasi nakita natin halos 200,000 cases per day sa Vietnam, umabot ng 600,000 sa South Korea in a day,” he said in the March 21 Laging Handa briefing.

“There’s a lot of uncertainties, and right now, suwerte pa rin tayo mababa pa rin ‘yung cases natin. But this can change, lalo na ‘pag masyado natin mabilis i-decrease ang restriction,” he added.

Salvaña noted the country’s high vaccination rate which can help prevent case resurgence, but said that vaccine efficacy against infection declined from 90% to just around 30% to 40%.

“‘Yung herd immunity that people think about, na hindi na mahahawa, hindi po ‘yun achievable with the current vaccines that we have,” he said.

“Ang important is that ‘yung epekto ng any of these outbreaks katulad ng nakita natin sa Omicron is really tempered by the level of vaccination to the point na ‘yung mga mamamatay ay nasa level na lang ng nakikita natin sa trangkaso,” he added.

 

Metro Manila cases

Based on OCTA data, the decline in the number of reported cases in the National Capital Region has slowed down, with a -4% growth between March 14 to 20, down from the -23% in the previous week. The reproduction number or rate of transmission also rose.

-Report from Mark Fetalco/AG-rir

Watch the full report here:

 

Popular

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...

Palace: PBBM has no personal knowledge of DPWH ‘leadership fund’

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has no personal knowledge of the so-called “leadership fund” in the Department...