Duterte ‘not inclined’ to lift face mask mandate yet

By Azer Parrocha | Philippine News Agency

MANILA – Despite a decline in the number of new coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases and hospitalizations in the country, President Rodrigo Duterte said he is “not ready” to lift the face mask requirement yet.

In a prerecorded public address aired Tuesday (March 22) morning, Duterte said he is not keen on relaxing face mask protocol yet because this reduces the chance of spreading COVID-19.

However, he said he sees no problem doing away with wearing face shields over masks and plastic barriers.

“I am not ready to order the removal of the mask pero siguro ‘yung plastic na ano cover puwede na ‘yun. Pero (but the plastic covers no longer need to be required. But) as I said it has done a lot of good…prevented the contamination from spreading,” he said. ‘

Duterte expressed concern over a new COVID-19 variant detected in Israel, noting that it could eventually reach Philippine shores.

Matagal pa ito (This will stay for a while) and there are reports…I don’t know if it’s subject to confirmation na may bagong (that there is a new variant of) COVID found in Israel so whether we like it or not, kung totoo ‘yan (if it’s true), it will reach again the shores of our country,” he added.

Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Francisco Duque III, for his part, agreed that masking should stay as a critical public health tool.

Last week, Israel’s health ministry announced it found two people in the country infected with a new COVID-19 variant that is a combination of the two subvariants of Omicron BA.1 and BA.2.

Israeli officials, however, said they are “not unduly worried” about them leading to serious cases.

The DOH said the public does not need to be alarmed by the entry of travelers since safety and surveillance measures are still in place.

Health Undersecretary Maaria Rosario Vergeire said the new COVID-19 variant is still being studied, adding that the World Health Organization (WHO) has no further announcement yet on the matter.

In its latest case bulletin, the DOH said there are 3,572 new cases of COVID-19 in the country from March 14 to 20. (PNA)

-ag

 

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...