Monkeypox-like symptoms detected in 5-year girl in India, sample sent for testing

Xinhua News Agency

NEW DELHI — Doctors at a private hospital in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh have detected monkeypox-like symptoms in a five-year-old girl, officials said Saturday, June 4.

The health officials have not confirmed the case and said they had collected samples of the patient and sent them for testing at the National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune.

“Samples of a five-year-old girl were collected for testing for monkeypox, as a precautionary measure, as she had complaints of itching and rashes on her body. She has no other health issues and neither she nor any of her close contact traveled abroad in the past one month,” the chief medical officer of Ghaziabad told media.

Monkeypox is a zoonotic disease that presents symptoms including fever, an extensive characteristic rash and usually swollen lymph nodes.

The five-year-old girl visited the hospital on Friday for the treatment of an ear infection when the doctor noticed monkeypox-like lesions over her body.

“I saw lesions over her body and they seemed similar to monkeypox. We immediately informed the health department and isolated the girl. The family told us that several children in the family have developed a similar infection and two of them have already recovered,” a local newspaper quoted Dr B P Tyagi, a senior ENT specialist as having said.

So far no case of monkeypox has been found in India. On Tuesday the federal health ministry issued guidelines on the management of monkeypox disease. – gb

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...