PDEA destroys P7.2-B worth of prohibited drugs, chemicals

The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) on Tuesday, Dec. 20, destroyed 1.4 tons of illegal drugs and other prohibited chemicals worth P7.2 billion in a waste management facility in Trece Martires, Cavite.

This is the first destruction of illegal drugs conducted under the administration of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as part of the continuation of the campaign against illegal drugs.

The PDEA said it continues to coordinate with courts for the immediate issuance of court orders for the destruction of illegal drugs in their custody. This is also in compliance with the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 and to prevent drug recycling.

“Gusto man natin na madaliin ‘yung pag destroy ng droga, kami rin naman ay dependent doon sa court proceedings, sila kasi ‘yung magbibigay ng desisyon,” PDEA Director General Moro Virgilio Lazo.

“Ang court natin maming cases na hinahawakan kaya hindi nasusunod ‘yung timeline na ‘yan but then we previously coordinated with court administrators to help us, para matulungan tayo na ma-encourage at ma-urge ang judges na i-prioritize ang drug cases at ma-schedule kaagad ang destruction,” Dangerous Drugs Board Secretary Catalino Cuy said.

According to the PDEA, there are still 1.6 tons of illegal drugs in its safekeeping.

Meanwhile, the agency assured that it has regular counter-intelligence or its version of internal cleansing among its ranks.

This is following the arrest of the chief of the PDEA Southern District Office and two of his agents in a buy-bust operation in Taguig City recently.

“Dapat aside from minomonitor ang mga kalaban, dapat minomonitor din natin ‘yung mga tauhan natin. Ito nga ‘yung nangyari sabi ko nga unfortunately ‘yun ang mga nahuli so tuloy-tuloy ‘yung pagmamanman din natin sa kasamahan natin sa PDEA na dapat gumawa sila ng tama,” Lazo said.

The arrested suspects were first fired from their positions and charged. –Report from Patrick de Jesus/KC-ag

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...