MT Princess Empress operator’s public convenience certificate revoked

A photo of MT Princess Empress which was located on March 21 after it sank in the waters of Oriental Mindoro on Feb. 28, 2023.
(Photo courtesy of Philippine Coast Guard)

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) said the Certificate of Public Convenience (CPC) of the operator of MT Princess Empress, the vessel that leaked massive oil amounts in Oriental Mindoro, has been revoked.

RDC Reield Marine Services, Inc.’s certificate revocation is part of the May 11 resolution of the Maritime Industry Authority–National Capital Region (MARINA-NCR), after it was found out that the vessel operated without authority.

The DOTr said it is also investigating if the personnel from maritime authorities had responsibility for the sinking of the vessel.

It was reported that the vessel sailed unauthorized for 17 times before it sank on February 28.

“We have had sinkings before but no one has been held to account. This time all parties, whether private or public, will be held accountable. There will be no exception,” DOTr Secretary Jaime Bautista said.

“Our policy is zero tolerance to shortcuts, official negligence, and disregard of rules. The rule of law, good governance, and best practices must prevail throughout the department and its agencies,” he added. -AG/CF

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...