Israel revises down October 7 Hamas attack death toll to 1,200

Handout picture released by the NGO Rio de Paz showing flags of Israel and photos of Israeli children victims of the October 7 Hamas attack in Israel, placed as a tribute at Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on November 7, 2023. (Photo by Rafael Henrique Brito / NGO RIO DE PAZ / AFP)

Agence France-Presse

Israel on Friday revised down the death toll from last month’s Hamas attacks in southern Israel from 1,400 to about 1,200, according to a foreign ministry spokesman.

“This is an updated estimate,” ministry spokesman Lior Haiat told AFP.

“It includes foreign workers and other foreign nationalities just from the October 7 attack,” he said.

He said the toll was not “final” and “might change” when all the bodies have been identified.

Israel previously said Hamas fighters who poured across the heavily militarized border on October 7 killed 1,400 people, mostly civilians.

But in an unrelated statement on Friday that was critical of the UN’s cultural agency UNESCO, Haiat said Hamas murdered “about 1,200 people”.

Haiat separately confirmed the new toll in a statement to AFP.

Since the October 7 attacks, Israel has vowed to destroy Hamas and launched a military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

Over 11,000 people have since died in retaliatory strikes in Gaza by Israel, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run Palestinian territory. 

 

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...