DA chief orders delivery of more NFA rice to ‘Kristine’-hit LGUs

RICE FOR CALAMITY VICTIMS. Volunteers load rice from the National Food Authority (NFA) on a truck to give to residents affected by Severe Tropical Storm Kristine in Camarines Sur on Wednesday (Oct. 23, 2024). On Friday (Oct. 25), Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. ordered the NFA to deliver additional rice to local government units. (Photo courtesy of NFA Camarines Sur)

By Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency

Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. on Friday said he ordered the National Food Authority (NFA) to deliver additional rice to local government units (LGUs) affected by the onslaught of Severe Tropical Storm Kristine (international name: Trami).

During the Palace situation briefing, he said the move will also serve as a preparation for the incoming tropical depression which may enter the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) over the weekend.

“To prepare for what is coming, we also instructed NFA to send additional rice above and beyond what was requested,” Tiu Laurel said, citing an adequate supply following the NFA’s aggressive palay buying from local farmers during the last harvest season.

The NFA earlier said it has sufficient nationwide rice stock which can last up to 6.5 days and is equivalent to 4.3 million bags of NFA rice.

“We have Kadiwa trucks going to Camsur (Camarines Sur) and we also have NFA rice ordered by the LGUs being deployed as we speak,” Tiu Laurel said.

The DA, meanwhile, has yet to determine the extent of damage to rice, corn, high-value crops, livestock, fisheries, and irrigation facilities, among others.

Tiu Laurel, however, reiterated that the early harvest of palay in various regions is expected to minimize the overall damage.

“We have already harvested 60 to 70 percent a week before the storm hit. We accelerated harvesting, and the buying of NFA. So, nakatulong naman iyon,” he added.

To date, around P80.80 million worth of damage has been reported, with rice production being the hardest-hit at P79.34 million.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...