DOH opens online mental health support for Filipinos in Israel

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Health (DOH) is extending psychosocial support to overseas Filipinos in Israel affected by the recent Iran-Israel conflict that left scores injured and hundreds displaced in the Jewish state.

The DOH said at least 60 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) participated in the online counseling session led by Secretary Teodoro Herbosa on Saturday.

“To our dear overseas Filipinos in Israel, the whole Philippine government stands with you during these difficult times. We know that the situation in Israel is incredibly challenging,” Herbosa said in his message.

“We are here to assist you in every way we can, and offer our sincere encouragement. Please know that we are always here and continue to explore all avenues to assist you.”

Six psychiatrists and 11 psychosocial facilitators were present virtually to address the needs of the patients separately through breakout rooms.

The DOH said it plans to hold similar sessions every two weeks depending on the needs of each patient.

The initiative is in partnership with the Mariveles Mental Health and Wellness General Hospital, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), and Department of Migrant Workers (DMW).

The Philippine Embassy in Israel likewise held free and confidential online psychosocial counselling on Friday night.

According to DFA data, 146 Filipinos lost their homes due to missile strikes, with 128 already relocated to temporary shelters.

One remains in critical condition among the eight Filipinos injured in the aftermath of the Iran-Israel conflict that began when Tel Aviv mounted on June 13 a military campaign against Tehran’s nuclear sites, called the Operation Rising Lion.

As per embassy data, 146 houses of Filipinos in Israel were damaged, with occupants of 128 already resettled.

At least 26 OFWs have undergone voluntary repatriation while another 100 Filipino pilgrims and students were repatriated earlier.

The DFA said 75 are confirmed for the next batch for repatriation. There are 353 requests, according to the embassy.

The Philippine Embassy in Israel has so far provided 564 Filipinos with assistance in various forms, such as emergency financial assistance, provision of temporary shelter, and relief packages containing food, clothes, and hygiene products.

Israel remains under Alert Level 3 and Filipinos are still encouraged to undergo voluntary repatriation.

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...