DOH: No Hantavirus cases in PH, 38 Filipino crew members safe abroad

Department of Health logo

By Ma. Teresa Montemayor | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday assured the public that there are no recorded cases of hantavirus in the Philippines and confirmed that the 38 Filipino crew members aboard a quarantined cruise ship near Africa remain healthy.

DOH Undersecretary Albert Domingo clarified the situation following reports of a cruise ship currently docked in Cabo Verde, in the Atlantic Ocean, which has been placed under quarantine due to the virus.

Usec. Domingo said on Bagong Pilipinas Ngayon, “Ang magandang balita, ayon po sa WHO, sa International Health Regulations, wala po silang sakit. Wala kaming nababalitaan so far. In close coordination po tayo.” 

He said the risk to the general public in the Philippines remains extremely low, “Ito pong hantavirus, hindi po yan bago. Ito po ay isang rare, bihira po itong sakit, na nakukuha lamang kung tayo ay makalapit sa dumi, o ihi, ng mga… na may hantavirus. Sa Pilipinas po, wala po tayong naitatalang kaso.”

Usec. Domingo said historical reports from as far back as 1992 are being reviewed, and there has been no recent confirmation of the virus on local shores.

Symptoms often mimic other common diseases such as leptospirosis and dengue, including fever and body aches.

The Bureau of Quarantine has been placed on high alert under the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to monitor the situation of the 38 Filipinos aboard the vessel.

While the responsibility for repatriation lies with the cruise ship operator, Domingo assured that the government is monitoring their status.

He said the vessel is currently stationary and strictly following international quarantine protocols, “Naka-daong po yung bapor, hindi po siya gumagalaw. Naka-quarantine po siya. Sa utos ng ating Pangulo, binabantayan po natin ang sitwasyon.”

He added, “Huwag po tayong mangamba. Ulitin namin, mas nababahala kami sa dami ng tuberculosis at sa bilis ng hawa ng HIV.” (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...