Albayalde: ‘Tanods’ are not allowed to carry firearms

National Capital Region Police Office Chief Oscar Albayalde on Wednesday clarified that all the village watchmen or barangay tanods nationwide are not allowed to carry firearms.

In relation to the shooting incident that happened in Mandaluyong City last Dec. 28, Albayalde said that even though they have their own firearms with permit to carry, all the watchmen are prohibited to use firearm in their duties.

“Unang una, hindi po talaga allowed magkaroon ng baril yung mga barangay tanod. Kahit na sila ay may personal na baril at mayroong permit to carry outside the residence, hindi pa rin po puwedeng gamitin ‘yan for the purpose of their duties as barangay tanod,” he explained.

Albayalde also said that the PNP is currently investigating why these watchmen were carrying firearms.

WATCH: Bagong Pilipinas’ interview with National Capital Region Police Office Chief Oscar Albayalde

“Iniimbestigahan na rin po namin kung bakit mayroon silang baril although siyempre, dine-deny po nila ‘yan,” Albayalde said.

“Ngunit sa parafin test po nila ay nag-positive sila sa nitrate,” he added.

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa, on the other hand, also clarified on Tuesday that watchmen are not authorized to carry guns.

“First, if they are watchmen they are not authorized to carry guns, so right now I am giving instruction to all members of the PNP to arrest all armed watchmen,” Dela Rosa told reporters in a press briefing at Camp Crame, Quezon City.

Even though the tanods are considered as ‘force multipliers,’ they will still not be tolerated if they are the ones who are causing the problems in the community.

With this, the PNP chief ordered the arrest and disarming of barangay watchmen nationwide who will be found possessing loose firearms. (Tretch Melarpes – PTV)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...