NegOcc earmarks 9 priority projects for agro-fishery industry

BACOLOD CITY — The Office of the Provincial Agriculturist (OPA) has identified nine priority projects for the agro-fishery industry in Negros Occidental to be funded by the 20 percent Provincial Development Fund for 2018.

OPA Chief Japhet Masculino said that as of Thursday, almost PHP96 million has been allocated to implement the various priority programs and projects.

These include on-farm mechanization program worth PHP25 million; establishment of Agri-fishery Laboratory Center – PHP20 million; counterpart fund for irrigation project with the National Irrigation Administration – PHP19.9 million; construction of additional structure at Panaad Organic Village – PHP10 million; and counterpart fund for the Department of Agriculture irrigation project – PHP8.1 million.

Also included are support to high value crop development program – PHP5 million; establishment of agriculture tramline in Silay City – PHP4 million; coastal fisheries resources management program – PHP2.3 million; and fishery inter-local alliance program – PHP1.6 million.

Masculino said the additional fund for agriculture and fishery is expected to boost the production of farmers and fisherfolk, particularly with the introduction of technologies and provision of assistance.

“Through these projects up for implementation this year, we hope to attain higher production of agro-fishery products while improving the profitability of our farmers,” the OPA chief added.

Last week, Masculino said rice farmers would also get assistance from the provincial government in the acquisition of machineries to help them increase production and improve profitability.

Given that farmers are limited by the prohibitive costs of farm machineries, the Capitol is looking for ways to assist them by tapping suppliers.

“The payment, which will be guaranteed by the provincial government, will be amortized by the farmers upon the use of equipment,” Masculino said. (PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...