DILG prepares charges vs. LGU execs linked to Boracay crisis

ILOILO CITY — The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) is mulling charges against government personnel and private individuals who would be found accountable for the environmental crisis now besetting Boracay Island.

In a press conference Monday, lawyer Anthony Nuyda, regional director of DILG-6 (Western Visayas), said the inquiry undertaken by the Boracay Investigating Team (BIT) is ongoing. Nuyda is among the 12 members of the BIT.

Earlier, DILG Officer-in-Charge Eduardo M. Año submitted a comprehensive report on the result of their probe so they could file cases against those who are accountable for the environmental crisis.

“As to what charges will be filed, we cannot tell that at the moment because it will depend on what documents we could get. Definitely some case of neglect of duty, etc.,” Nuyda said.

He said they are particularly looking at the several violations on environmental laws, compliance with the building code and fire code, among others.

Nuyda cited that it was clear during last week’s Senate hearing that environmental laws were violated. Also, there were those that operate even without a business permit and fire safety inspection certificate.

“All these things tinitignan kung merong liability at kung sino ang accountable (We are looking at all these things if there are liability and who will be those accountable),” he added.

The BIT is chaired by DILG Assistant Secretary for Plans and Programs Epimaco V. Densing III while DILG Senior Executive Assistant Jerry A. Loresco of the Office of the Undersecretary for Peace and Order, Public Safety, and Policy and Programs is vice chairperson.

The other members of the committee are Bureau of Local Government Supervision (BLGS) Director Odilon L. Pasaraba; Legal and Legislative Liaison Service (LLLS) Director Romeo P. Benitez; Trial and Investigation Division officer-in-charge Maria Elena Quebral; BLGS Policy Compliance and Monitoring Division Chief Maria Rhodora R. Flores; Frederick Lubuguin of the LLLS; Benjamin Zabala of the Internal Affairs Service; Engineer Richard Cruz of the Office of Project Development Services; and representatives of the Bureau of Fire Protection and Police Regional Office 6 (Western Visayas). (Cindy Ferrer/PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...