Crime group leader shot dead in South Cotabato

POLOMOLOK, South Cotabato — An alleged crime group leader was shot dead in a brief firefight with government forces along the highway here, police officials said Wednesday.

Chief Insp. Aldrin Gonzales, Police Regional Office-12 spokesperson, said the firefight happened at around 8:40 p.m. Tuesday along the highway in Barangay Pagalungan, this municipality.

Gonzales said killed in a brief firefight was Benzaid Nilong, 49, leader of the Nilong private armed group operating in this town and in nearby municipalities.

Senior Supt. Franklin Alvero, South Cotabato police director, said that prior to the firefight, they received intelligence report that a private armed group would stage a robbery along the Koronadal-General Santos City Highway, particularly in Barnagay Pagalungn, this town.

Alvero said the local police deployed a team of policemen to conduct mobile patrol along the highway as a preventive measure.

The team led by Chief Insp. Alex Joe Orcajada, local police chief, spotted and flagged down two motorcycles without licensed and headlights with five men aboard while conducting mobile patrol.

However, the suspects opened fire and tried to escape as the policemen approached them.

“The suspects fired at our personnel using M-16 rifle and caliber .45 pistol as they sped off, triggering a brief firefight,” Gonzales said.

Nilong died instantly while his companions managed to flee on foot leaving their two motorbikes.

Gonzalez said recovered from the crime scene was a caliber .45 pistol, a rifle grenade, empty shells for caliber .45 and .9-mm pistols and mobile phones.

The M-16 of Nilong was missing as it was believed to have been taken by his fleeing companions.

Gonzales said Nilong, an alleged hired killer, was involved in the killing of Senior Insp. Hernan Gabat, deputy chief of the local police, in October last year.

He said Nilong was also involved in highway robbery incidents. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...