Ex-drug dependents in Caraga Region trained on responsible parenthood

BUTUAN CITY—A government program that trains recovering drug dependents on responsible parenthood has already produced its first batch of graduates, the Population Commission in Caraga Region (POPCOM-Caraga) said.

Alexander Makinano, POPCOM-Caraga director, said the participants consisting of recovering drug dependents from different parts of the region have completed early this month the Kalalakihang Tumutugon Sa Responsibilidad at Obligasyon Para sa Pamilya or “Katropa” program.

Makinano said “Katropa” is a series of workshops that aim to instill family values, as well as sharpen the knowledge gender development and reproductive health rights, among others.

The program’s final phase, he said, focused on family planning, and was attended by the partners of the participants.

During the workshop, Ruth Cuizon, a drug rehabilitation center technical staff, underscored the importance of good marital relationship in planning the timing and the spacing of children.

Effective family planning, she said, could boost the families’ ability to save and send their children to school.

Cuizon also cited the importance of the role that men play in advancing women’s reproductive rights. She pointed out that family planning decisions are a commonly conjugal issue where women often consult their husbands.

“Men play a big part in deciding when their pregnant partner get pre natal and post natal care, where she will deliver, when and how they will space births among other decisions,” she said. “Thus their involvement in reproductive health and family planning can make pregnancy and child birth a joyous moment.”

Late last year, the “Katropa” participants started the program with focus on attaining health and safety and how to become productive members of the society. (Noel B. Najarro/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...