JBC opens applications for SC, Ombudsman posts

MANILA — The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) has opened the application for vacancies in the Supreme Court and Office of the Ombudsman.

In its announcement, the JBC said SC Associate Justice Presbitero Velasco Jr .is set to retire on Aug. 8, after serving for around 12 years at the high court.

Velasco previously served as Department of Justice (DOJ) undersecretary and was appointed as CA justice before he was promoted to the SC in 2006.

Apart from Velasco, the JBC announced that it is also accepting applications for the vacancy at the Ombudsman that was made open with the coming retirement of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales on July 26.

Morales, 76, was a retired SC Associate Justice and was appointed by former President Benigno Simeon Aquino III as Ombudsman in 2011.

Morales is the sister of lawyer Lucas Carpio, Jr., husband of retired Court of Appeals (CA) Associate Justice Agnes Reyes-Carpio.

Lucas and Agnes are the parents of lawyer Mans Carpio, the husband of President Rodrigo Duterte’s daughter — Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.

The JBC said all applications and recommendations (with conforme), with two complete sets (one original/certified true copy and one duplicate photocopied on long bond paper) of the documentary requirements “must all be received by the JBC not later than 4:30 p.m. of 2 May 2018.”

“The date of actual receipt by the JBC of the applications and complete documentary requirements shall be deemed as the date of filing,” the announcement read.

“Qualifications of applicants shall be reckoned from the said deadline,” it added.

Among the 17 documents that the applicants should submit are their sworn statements of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN) for years 2016 and 2017 in the case of applicants in government service, or for 2017 for those in the private sector; and their Income Tax Returns (ITR) or Certificates of Compensation Payment/Tax Withheld for Years 2016 and 2017.

They should also submit the results of their medical examinations that they took within six months prior to the deadline for filing of applications, namely their complete blood count, routine urinalysis, blood chemistry, electrocardiogram (12-lead), and the results of their routine chest x-ray (excluding x-ray films) conducted within one year prior to the deadline for filing of applications.

The JBC is constitutionally mandated to screen and vet nominees to the President for vacant posts in the judiciary and the Offices of the Ombudsman and Deputy Ombudsman. (Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...