OFWs affected by Kuwait deployment ban get cash aid from OWWA

MANILA — The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is set to give cash assistance worth at least PHP2,500 to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) affected by the deployment ban in Kuwait.

OWWA Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac said the amount that will be given to active members is PHP5,000, while inactive members will receive PHP2,500.

“There will be cash assistance to those affected by the ban on OFW deployment to Kuwait as long as they are OWWA members and have Kuwait work visa as of February 12, 2018,” Owwa Board Resolution No. 14-2018 read.

Cacdac said beneficiaries may visit OWWA regional offices in their respective areas on how to avail of the government’s monetary assistance.

“They can get further information through the nearest Owwa regional offices for the cash assistance,” Cacdac added.

Last month, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) imposed a total deployment ban on OFWs bound for Kuwait.

The ban covers all types of workers being deployed for the first time, without distinction as to skill, profession, or type of work.

The order was issued in connection with the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte, citing several cases of deaths and abuses of Filipino workers in the Arab state. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...