DSWD to resume giving of transpo cash aid on May 1

MANILA –The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) on Monday said that it will resume tomorrow, May 1, giving transportation cash assistance to workers in Boracay who opt to return to their home towns while the island resort is being rehabilitated.

“We will resume tomorrow (May 1),” said Joey Urquiola, a DSWD-Social Welfare and Development team leader in Aklan in a phone interview with the Philippine News Agency (PNA).

Urquiola added that due to problems in encashing checks at a bank last Friday, DSWD personnel decided to temporarily stop giving out the cash assistance.

“We have to wait for the cash as there are no bank operations from Saturday to Sunday. The encashment process only resumes today (Monday),” he said.

He said that they also decided to move to another venue of the cash assistance to Faith Village also in Barangay Manoc-Manoc. It was previously done at the Operation Center in Boracay Tropics.

Urquiola said they changed the venue of the cash assistance because the previous location was inconvenient on the part of the individuals who are seeking help.

He estimated that almost PHP5 million was disbursed for the transportation assistance, adding that the cost of assistance varies due to the different destinations of the recipients, who have been properly verified via presentation of valid documents. (Leilani Junio/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...