US officials indicate N. Korea could soon release detained Americans

This picture released from North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows Kim Dong-Chul, a Korean-American as he addresses a news conference in Pyongyang, March 25, 2016. (Photo Courtesy of AFP)

U.S. officials have indicated that North Korea could soon release three detained Americans.

Former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, a member of President Donald Trump’s legal team, said the Americans are expected to be freed Thursday.

“We got Kim Jong Un impressed enough to be releasing three prisoners today,” Giluiani told Fox news.

Trump hinted at an imminent release in a Tweet Wednesday night. “As everybody is aware, the past Administration has long been asking for three hostages to be released from a North Korean Labor camp, but to no avail. Stay tuned!” he wrote.

Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un have agreed to meet face to face, although the date and location have not yet been determined.

FILE – Tony Kim, one of the three Americans being held captive by North Korea, is seen in this handout photo taken in California in 2016. (Photo Courtesy of Reuters)

Three Korean-Americans currently are imprisoned in North Korea. Tony Kim and Kim Hak Song were teaching at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, the only private university in the country. They were separately detained in 2017, and accused of participating in anti-state activities and trying to overthrow the government.

The third detainee, Kim Dong Chul, was arrested in Rason on the northeast tip of North Korea in October 2015. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison with hard labor in 2016 after being convicted of espionage. | via Voice of America

 

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...