Australia supports Duterte’s drive vs corruption: Embassy exec

DAVAO CITY–President Rodrigo Duterte has found an ally on his campaign against corruption in the Australian government.

Mat  Kimberley, Australian Embassy’s Deputy Head of Mission to the Philippines, said his country Australia strongly supports President Duterte’s drive against corruption as it “will bring greater opportunity for the Philippines.”

“The Australian Government and the Philippine Government have a very strong relationship. We encourage the drive of President Duterte against corruption,” Kimberley said in an interview Monday.

“This government shows a strong push for reform that can bring a better future for the Philippines,” he added.

Duterte has fired several members of his cabinet for their alleged involvement in irregularities.

“I will fire them in just one swoop. They are about five in the list… No offense intended, but public office is still an opportunity really to make money,” Duterte said during the ceremonial opening of oil and gas production of the Alegria Oilfield Polyard-3 Well Site in Cebu on May 20.

Last week, Duterte asked Justice Assistant Secretary Moslemen Macarambon Sr. and Public Works Assistant Secretary Tingagun Umpa to tender their resignation or be fired for their alleged involvement in corrupt acts.

Kimberley also assured that the relationship of the Philippines and Australia remains strong despite the issue involving the deportation order against Australian nun Patricia Fox.

He said the Australian government is “well aware” of the issue between the Philippine Government and Fox, but chose to remain silent on the matter due to privacy concerns.

Last month, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) forfeited Fox’s visa after the latter’s supposed involvement in political activities. (Funny Pearl Gajunera/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...