Drug test results not basis for expulsion: DepEd

MANILA — The Department of Education (DepEd) on Wednesday stood pat on its stand to limit drug testing to secondary and tertiary level students, stressing that positive test results will not be a basis for disciplinary action or expulsion.

“The law is very clear–random drug testing would have to be in high school level and secondly, you have to consider the privacy act,” DepEd Secretary Leonor Briones told a Palace briefing.

The Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 only authorizes drug testing for secondary and tertiary level students.

Briones, meanwhile, noted that drug testing among secondary and tertiary students, teachers, school staff will remain confidential.

“The purpose here is prevention, it’s not for sanction or punishment. It will not be basis for expulsion, it will not be basis for disciplinary action,” Briones said.

“It is a health policy and it has been approved by the President (Rodrigo R. Duterte) himself and the Cabinet,” she added.

Earlier this month, Briones met with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), the Philippine National Police (PNP), and the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) to reject the three agencies’ proposal of having mandatory drug tests for all students down to fourth grade.

Malacañang has backed DepEd’s decision.

PDEA proposed drug testing for students grades four and up following records which showed that the youngest drug user captured was 10 years old. (Azer Parrocha/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...