Lanao Sur town gets new P20-M public market

COTABATO CITY – The economy of Saguiaran is expected to get a shot in the arm with the completion of a PHP20-million public market built by the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) regional government.

“Saguiaran must rise up and move on,” ARMM Governor Mujiv Hataman said during the ceremonial turn over of the public market on Wednesday.

Saguiaran town is next to Marawi City and was equally affected when terrorists laid siege on the Islamic City in May last year.

The 1,200-sq. meter market, which has both wet and dry areas, caters to the displaced families who are rebuilding their lives. Saguiaran currently hosts almost a thousand families from neighboring Marawi City.

Saguiaran Mayor Macmod Muti said the establishment of a public market in his town will not just provide livelihood for internally displaced persons (IDPs) but will also resolve the vehicular traffic problem in the municipality.

“We really need this public market,” Muti said, adding that aside from providing a decent place for market vendors, it will also resolve traffic woes because there is now one marketplace that people would frequent, unlike before when stalls are scattered everywhere.

“We hosted thousands of IDPs from Marawi City who are still here. We respond to their needs by providing them with a marketplace so our economy is alive again,” he added.

In response, Hataman said the public market is just one of the projects of the regional government for Saguiaran as another one is coming.

“I told Mayor Muti to find a sizable lot area that can be developed for housing projects, commerce is very much alive here,” Hataman said.

During the event, the governor thanked two barangay chairmen for donating parts of their adjoining villages for the ARMM housing projects.

“Their gestures are acts of true Muslims, sharing for the less fortunate,” he said.

Hataman said the housing projects would prioritize families who remained in tents and in the town’s gymnasium, who are trying to cope with deteriorating health conditions. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...