JBC to interview 6 aspirants for SC post on Dec. 5

By Benjamin Pulta/PNA

MANILA — The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) has set on Dec. 5 the public interview for six aspirants for the Supreme Court (SC) magistrate post to be vacated by Associate Justice Noel Tijam upon his retirement on Jan. 5, 2019.

The JBC said aside from Sandiganbayan Presiding Justice Amparo Cabotaje-Tang, to be interviewed also is her fellow anti-graft court justice, Efren dela Cruz and Court of Appeals Justices Eduardo Peralta Jr., Ramon Cruz, Ricardo Rosario and Ramon Bato Jr.

“Pursuant to Section 2, Rule 7 of the Revised Rules of the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC), a public panel interview will be conducted on December 5, 2018 (Wednesday) at the Division Hearing Room, Supreme Court Main Building, of the following candidates for the position of Supreme Court Associate Justice vice Honorable Noel Tijam,” the JBC said in an announcement.

Cabotaje-Tang, 58, was the youngest member of the anti-graft court when she was appointed in 2013 by then president Benigno Aquino III.

There are 14 other aspirants vying for Tijam’s post, but they will no longer face the JBC in December as their previous interviews are still considered valid.

These are CA justices Manuel Barrios, Apolinario Bruselas, Jr., Rosmari Carandang, Stephen Cruz, Edgardo delos Santos, Japar Dimaampao, Ramon Garcia, Amy Lazaro-Javier, and Mario Lopez; Sandiganbayan Justice Alex Quiroz; Tagum Tagum City Regional Trial Court judge Virginia Tehano-Ang, Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez; Centro Escolar University law school associate dean Rita Linda Jimeno and former Ateneo law dean Cesar Villanueva.

Tijam was appointed to the SC in March last year.

President Duterte is expected to appoint over 10 members of the SC during his six-year term.

He has appointed six justices so far — now Ombudsman Samuel Martires, Tijam, Andres Reyes Jr., Alexander Gesmundo, Jose Reyes Jr. and Ramon Paul Hernando.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...