Reenacted budget not an ‘excuse’ for delay in pay hike: solon

By Filane Mikee Cervantes/PNA

MANILA — House Majority Leader Rolando Andaya Jr. on Tuesday said a reenacted budget is not an excuse to stop the implementation of salary increases of government employees for 2019.

In a statement, Andaya said the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) has all the tools in pushing through with the salary increases this year.

“Considering the fact that the cash budget proposal this year is the same as last year, then a reenacted budget covers the needed funding for the salary increases,” he said.

Andaya, in a separate statement, also appealed to President Rodrigo Duterte to remind DBM Secretary Benjamin Diokno to transmit to the Office of the President all the documents needed to facilitate the release of salary increase for government employees due this year.

“Sec. Diokno will be doing the country a great disservice if he fails to submit these documents to the President on time. The President needs to sign the pertinent documents in order to effect the releases by January 15,” Andaya said.

“These are the same documents that the President signed last year for the first tranche of salary increases for uniformed personnel, at a time when the pay raise was still not included in the 2018 budget proposal,” he added.

The fourth and last tranche of the Salary Standardization Law (SSL) has been deferred pending the approval of the proposed PHP3.757-trillion national budget.

Diokno earlier told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) that “government authorities cannot spend on items not authorized by Congress.”

He explained the last tranche of the SSL “is part of the 2019 President’s Budget, not 2018 Budget.”

“Congress has to approve the 2019 budget before government workers can avail of the 4th tranche,” he said, pointing out that “the re-enacted budget is a second-best option provided for in the Constitution.”

The best option is the approval of the proposed allocation, Andaya added.

On Dec. 28, 2018, President Rodrigo R. Duterte signed a resolution extending the validity of the 2018 National Expenditure Program (NEP) to Dec. 31, 2019.

Currently, the government has started operating under a reenacted budget on January 1 this year until the 2019 General Appropriations Act (GAA) is passed.

Congress failed to pass the budget bill before the end of 2018 because of allegations of “pork” insertions in the 2019 budget.

It earlier vowed to speed up the passage of the budget bill when sessions resume on January 14.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...