Abu Sayyaf’s last captive rescued in Tawi-Tawi

Press Release

Camp Navarro, Calarian, Zamboanga City — March 21, 2021

With the relentless efforts of the AFP and PNP, the last kidnap victim in captivity was rescued from his abductors in Tawi-Tawi.

“We are pleased to inform everyone that Mohd Khairuldin, a 15-year old Indonesian National, was rescued in Kalupag Island, Languyan, Tawi-Tawi at 6:30 in the morning today, Sunday, March 21, 2021,” said Lt. Gen. Corleto Vinluan, Jr., Commander of the Western Mindanao Command.

Khairuldin is among the five Indonesian crew members who were abducted in the waters off Tambisan, Malaysia on January 17, 2020.

“We are happy that all the hostages are safe now and we are also able to neutralize the notorious “Apo Mike” and two of his comrades,” Lt. Gen. Vinluan, Jr. added.

Apo Mike succumbed to death due to loss of blood following an encounter with the marine troops in the same barangay on Saturday evening.

“He was severely wounded during the encounter last night, we tried to save him but his gunshot wounds were fatal,” said Lt. Col. Venjie Pendon, Commanding Officer of the Marine Battalion Landing Team-6.

Meanwhile, Lt. Col. Gaylord Tamayo of the PNP Special Operations Group-1 said, “We are glad that we are able to lead the hostages to safety through the support of the people and also through our collaborative efforts with the military”.

According to Joint Task Force Tawi-Tawi Commander Brig. Gen. Arturo Rojas, Khairuld will be brought to Zamboanga City to join his fellow crew members and ex-hostages later today.

“I commend the troops of the Marine Battalion Landing Team-6 led by Lt. Col Venjie Pendon, the 61st FRC, and SOP12 headed by Col. Nestor Narag, Jr., and our partners for yet another successful rescue operation,” said Brig. Gen. Rojas.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...