Afghan suicide bomber kills at least 26 in Kabul

Afghan policemen arrive at the site of a blast in Kabul, Afghanistan, March 21, 2018. (Photo Courtesy of Reuters)

ISLAMABAD — Afghan officials say a suicide bomb went off Wednesday in Kabul, killing at least 26 people and wounding many more.

A big crowd of Shi’ite Muslims had gathered in the Afghan capital in connection with the Persian new year celebrations, or Nawroz, when the blast occurred, witnesses and officials said.

They said the toll could rise and mostly civilians were among the victims.

The perpetrator of the attack was, so far, unclear.

Islamic State militants have in recent months frequently targeted Shi’ite worship places and gatherings in Kabul while the Taliban insurgency has also plotted devastating suicide bombings in the city.

A Taliban spokesman, however, has denied responsibility in Wednesday’s bombing. | via Voice of America

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...